As you read energy savings blogs, you’ll basically come across the same tips again and again. Repetition is good so things sink in. But you’ll also want to find more ways to save energy too so you increase your savings even further.
Many of these tips you likely won’t have heard before. Check out these interesting, and unique, ways you can save more energy this year:
- Avoid using the ventilation fans you have in your kitchen, bathroom, and anywhere else, as much as possible. They remove conditioned or heated air from your home.
- Your ceiling or attic should be insulated to an R-value of at least 49. Have you heard of “Stack Effect?” It’s where the air in your home rises up and out of your home because of a natural vacuum your HVAC system creates. That’s what this insulation reduces.
- As long as we’re on the topic of insulation, make sure you insulate your ductwork in unheated or uncooled areas of your home.
- One last thing on insulation: consider having a contractor check yours. It seals your home’s air envelope so conditioned air doesn’t seep out.
- Pay special attention to your attic door. It’s the most overlooked natural escape for air. Make sure it’s insulated well to prevent as much air from escaping as possible.
- Ready for a seemingly insignificant thing? Turn your oven off 7 minutes before you finish cooking. The trapped heat that remains inside will actually be enough to cook your food.
- Speaking of your oven, don’t use it to broil food unless you absolutely have to. Only preheat when you need to. And cook small meals in your microwave instead of your oven to get the most efficient energy use out of yours.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer out of the sunlight so they don’t get warmed.
- Showers are obviously more efficient than baths. However, you may not know that this efficiency ends once you’ve taken a shower for around 10 minutes. At that point, you’ve likely used more water than you would in a bath.
- With your shower, place a water-flow device at the showerhead to win greater efficiency and energy savings.
You may or may not have heard these tips. Regardless, they help you save money and increase your efficiency.
Maybe we should add an eleventh way to save energy. If you are seeking low prepaid electric rates, Pronto has the Best Prepaid Rates in Texas and they can provide you Power Within the Hour. Signup today!